Please see Salim Rezaie‘s post on his website REBELEM discussing theories of lung disease in COVID-19.
- Quite often these patients can prone themselves!
- Normal pillows and blankets can offset pressure if you do not have access to fancy massage therapist tables/cushions.
- Teach your patient about shifting their weight while prone to avoid pressure sores and nerve injuries from laying still.
Code blues have taken extra steps for protection. Again, REBELEM has a wonderful post on this.
Some specifics for nurses we suggest:
- There is no emergency in a pandemic that requires you to rush into a room without appropriate PPE.
- See bullet number one.
- Limit team members in the room to the essentials.
- Consider applying a mechanical chest compression device to reduce environmental stimuli and free team members.
- Use a portable defibrillator because it will limit contamination to all of the crash cart equipment.
Creme de la Creme
This excellent post by Salim summarizes his evidence based thoughts. This is a truly remarkable read!